Technology is always developing. Today, most data is exchanged online using email and other means of communication. All without the need for paper.
But what about faxing?
Believe it or not, you can also send faxes from your computer. Better yet, you can do it without a fax machine, and again paper-free!
How? Today, we’ll discuss several different ways to fax a document from your computer.
1. Through a faxing software on your PC computer
If you have a Windows 7, 8, 10, Vista, or XP computer you don’t have to worry about finding any software. It’s already included in your Windows package. You’ll only have to set it up.
You will, however, need a fax modem for your computer. These can be either external – for USB or serial ports, or internal – for your motherboard. You’ll also need a wired landline connection (not wireless or VoIP).
With your fax modem installed, you’ll launch and setup the software. Then, simply find the “Windows Fax and Scan” program, open it, select “Fax”, and finally “New Fax.”
Follow the prompts to enter the fax number and other details, and attach the document you wish to send.
Mac users unfortunately don’t have this faxing option since there is still no iOS software dedicated to faxing.
2. Through an online fax service
This is easily the fastest and easiest option to send a fax from your computer. It’s also one that more and more people are taking advantage of.
That’s because you don’t need a fax machine, modem, or landline of any kind. You just need a connection to the internet.
Start by creating an account with an online fax app like FaxBurner.
The service lets you fax one of two ways.
- From your computer using just your email – Send an email from the email address you used to create your account. First, put the fax number in the subject line. Second, type any cover letter copy in the body of the email. Third, attach your document as a PDF. Just click send. Easy!
- Using your smartphone – The FaxBurner app makes it a breeze to send faxes via your iOS or Android device. Just enter the fax number and cover letter contents, attach your document or use your phone camera to scan a printed doc, and click send.
3. Through a connected fax machine or multi-purpose printer
Naturally, if you have a fax machine or a multi-functioning printer, this is a simple way to send your fax. Best of all, it’s environmental friendly since it eliminates printing.
It’s also the closest to the way people faxed in the “old days.”
First, you’ll need fax machine or printer that’s set up and connected to a landline. Next, install the machine’s software to your computer, so the two can communicate.
Once complete, your fax or printing machine can instantly send and receive documents to and from your computer without the need for printing.
However, keep in mind that the landline you intend to use for your fax or printer mustn’t be VoIP. This type of connection is known to cause issues with fax signals.
Summing up faxing documents from your computer, paper-free!
Your computer can be easily used to send faxes, both with or without an actual fax machine. And you can do away with all that paper too.
Three good options include:
- Using fax software installed onto your computer
- With an internet-based fax service like FaxBurner that lets you fax from your computer or smartphone
- Connecting your computer to a fax-machine or multi-purpose printer